FileZilla Server is an open-source FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server that enables users to upload, download and manage files remotely. In this article, we will guide you through the process of setting up FileZilla Server on Ubuntu 22.04.
PrerequisitesTo follow along with this guide, you will need the following:
- A server running Ubuntu 22.04
- A non-root user with sudo privileges
- Access to the terminal
Step 1: Install FileZilla Server
The first step in setting up FileZilla Server on Ubuntu 22.04 is to install the software. Follow the steps below:
Open the terminal on your Ubuntu 22.04 server.
Update the package list using the command:
sudo apt update
Install FileZilla Server using the command:
sudo apt install filezilla
Step 2: Configure FileZilla Server
Once you have installed FileZilla Server on your Ubuntu 22.04 server, you need to configure it to work properly. Follow the steps below:
Open FileZilla Server by typing the following command in the terminal:
Click on the Edit menu and select Settings.
In the Settings window, click on the FTP tab.
Under the General settings section, set the following options:
- Listen on these ports: 21
- Allow incoming FTP connections: Checked
- Limit number of simultaneous connections: 0
- Force SSL/TLS: Use explicit FTP over TLS if available
Under the Passive mode settings section, set the following options:
- Use custom port range: Checked
- Custom port range: 50000-51000
- Use the following IP: Your server's public IP address
- Retrieve external IP address from: https://ip.filezilla.com/ip.php
Click on the OK button to save the settings.
Step 3: Create a User Account
After configuring FileZilla Server, you need to create a user account to access the FTP server. Follow the steps below:
- In the FileZilla Server window, click on the Edit menu and select Users.
- Click on the Add button to create a new user account.
- Enter a username and password for the new user.
- Under the Shared folders section, click on the Add button to specify a folder for the user to access.
- Select the folder you want to share and click on the OK button.
- Click on the OK button to save the user account.
Step 4: Connect to FileZilla Server
Now that you have configured FileZilla Server and created a user account, you can connect to the FTP server using an FTP client. Follow the steps below:
- Open your preferred FTP client on your local machine.
- Enter your server's public IP address as the server address.
- Enter the username and password of the user account you created earlier.
- Click on the Connect button to establish a connection to the FTP server.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up FileZilla Server on Ubuntu 22.04 and can now manage files remotely.
Additional Configuration OptionsIf you want to further configure FileZilla Server, you can explore the following options:
- FTPS (FTP over SSL/TLS) and SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) support
- User and group management
- IP and host-based access control
- Logging and monitoring
- Custom welcome and goodbye messages
Related Searches and Questions asked:
That's it for this post. Keep practicing and have fun. Leave your comments if any.