FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a standard network protocol used to transfer files between computers on the internet or on a local network. Serv-U is a powerful and secure FTP server that allows you to transfer files easily and securely. In this tutorial, we will show you how to set up a Serv-U FTP server on Ubuntu 20.04.
PrerequisitesBefore we begin, you will need the following:
- A server running Ubuntu 20.04.
- Root access to the server.
- A static IP address for the server.
Step 1 - Installing Serv-UThe first step in setting up a Serv-U FTP server is to install the Serv-U software on your Ubuntu server. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open a terminal window on your Ubuntu server.
- Update the package index by running the following command:
sudo apt update
- Install Serv-U by running the following command:
sudo apt install serv-u
- Once the installation is complete, start the Serv-U service by running the following command:
sudo systemctl start serv-u
Step 2 - Configuring Serv-UNow that you have installed Serv-U, you need to configure it to work with your server. Here are the steps to configure Serv-U:
- Open a web browser and go to the following URL:
- Log in using the default username and password (admin/admin).
- Once you have logged in, you will be prompted to change your password. Follow the prompts to change your password.
- Next, you will need to configure your FTP server settings. Click on the "FTP" tab in the left-hand menu and then click on "FTP Settings". Here, you can configure your server settings, including the server name, IP address, and port number.
- Once you have configured your FTP server settings, click on the "FTP Users" tab to create a new FTP user. Click on the "Add User" button to create a new user. Enter the user's details and set their permissions.
- Finally, click on the "FTP Settings" tab again and click on the "Save" button to save your changes.
Step 3 - Testing Your FTP ServerNow that you have set up and configured your Serv-U FTP server, it's time to test it to ensure that it's working properly. Here are the steps to test your FTP server:
- Open a new terminal window on your Ubuntu server.
- Use the following command to test your FTP server:
- When prompted for a username and password, enter the credentials for the user you created in Step 2.
- Once you have logged in, you can transfer files to and from your server using the FTP commands.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up a Serv-U FTP server on Ubuntu 20.04. With Serv-U, you can easily transfer files between computers on your network or on the internet.
Related Searches and Questions asked:
That's it for this post. Keep practicing and have fun. Leave your comments if any.